A Gift of Surprise

 

[Han]  Gone Forest Bathing, digital artwork

 

This year has been a year of surprises and intrigue hence I thought nothing was likely to amaze me at the tail end. However as life will have it, never say never.

About a month back, I was wandering the alleys and footpaths near my home on my usual walks when someone asked if I knew how to get to the old railway tracks, known to be around the neighborhood. I was the only other person at dawn, hence I was happy to meet a fellow early riser and walker.

Though I have heard about the old railway tracks, I never ventured beyond familiar paths to find what might be wild and unkempt. Last I heard, the authorities were clearing the rail tracks which were hard to amble on, creating a proper nature trail. It was an ambitious project as the tracks were broken up into many parts, cutting through the entire backbone of central Singapore running into Malaysia. Though I have seen the tracks while peering out from a car, I had no idea how to join it on foot. And so, I told the gentleman, who said he has been looking around for hours, I could not help him.

However this encounter left me unwittingly curious. I was piqued that someone would spend his weekend looking for untraced paths. I knew there were parts of the rail that ran through urban areas, but there were also parts which harbored the best nature scenery. After all, the tracks belonged to Malaysia till recently and were left untainted by modern development. This started my own quest to follow the same rabbit trail. The treasure was too close.

The following week, I set out on foot to an area that I knew had part of the rail tracks, but it was along a busy road. Not my idea of a nature sanctuary but I thought, why not? I found the tracks quickly and indeed the old rickety wooden tracks have been removed and replaced with walking paths. It was a pleasant walk but quickly came to a dead end. It seemed the restoration work stopped abruptly at that spot. The rail road extended ahead but was under works. A notice with a map showed how I might continue to join the other restored parts of the railroad, but it was too complex for me to figure where to go. I was rather disappointed and wondered if the walker from last week had met similar obstacles. Finding remote green spots amidst an urban jungle like Singapore was akin to looking for pearls amongst shells crusted with barnacles.

Though I was not hopeful, I decided to walk further in the spirit of embracing where my feet had brought me. Most times, going with the flow had yielded good outcomes. I soon emerged on a major trunk road busy with cars. While gathering my thoughts and trudging along, I noticed a runner who had overtaken me earlier back at the tracks. I remember him as he was wearing a bright white shirt. On a whim, I decided to follow him though he was by now, a small figure far across the street. His white shirt was gleaming, beckoning me to follow. I wondered if he too was looking for the same treasure as I was.

Eager not to lose him, I sped up, ran across the road and turned into a slip road I had never noticed. Before I knew it, he disappeared into a heavily forested area through a dirt track, overrun with copious weeds and leaves. This was beginning to feel like Alice in Wonderland, I thought to myself! I was chasing after a running creature in the forest, in white! I hoped I would not be accused of stalking. He might be just on his way home…

As I swept away the green overhang above and wild grasses scratching my legs, navigating the dirt track to find my way, I suddenly found myself falling out onto an oasis of a vast and dense rainforest. There were no buildings in sight as far as my eye could see into the horizon. It was just miles of verdant and cavernous rainforest, with giant trees, all sorts of wild plants and big creepers. Looking up, I saw wide blue skies all around. Clouds of fog could be seen rising from the forest canopy in the distance, with birds encircling in the mist. I thought I was transported to another country.

The distinct chatter of forest life enveloped me with a cacophony of sounds – water streams, critters, toads, birds singing in symphony. A waft of fresh air carrying the scent of dew and earth refreshed me. A rail track ran ahead, guiding my eye further into the immense forest, but I had no idea where it came from or where it led to. Unlike nature parks, this place felt remote, un-spoilt, without signs, even street lights. Though there were people already plying the tracks, I felt I was one of the privileged few who knew of this stretch of a gem. I was secretly elated and savoring the Alice moment. To be swallowed up whole and beamed to a foreign place in my own backyard tickled me tremendously. Most people I have sent pictures to, exclaimed that they had no idea it was Singapore they were looking at.

I realized I was extremely delighted by this chance encounter with a pocket of green heaven. Like a child meeting a bear out of the blue. As a nature lover, being in touch and bathing in the forest was so vital to my being. A short meditative moment communing with giant trees, being lost in its peace, can instill much awe and inspiration. I felt like I was given a special invitation.

I have been back many times since, to this rainforest hideout. I have also figured out how it connected with the adjacent tracks and how to join it from the main roads many kilometers away. However I have not met many people along the elusive slip road and dirt track, emphasizing to me how serendipitous that first occasion of discovery was, meeting “Mr White”. I could have dismissed him completely. Oddly I have not met him since.

With this intriguing experience, I began to ponder what else lie in wait for me in other aspects of my life, waiting to be discovered. I realized the best things in life can be free and just beside us, but we may never care to observe or see. Other times, we ignore the invitations laid out before us, too busy making our own plans. On occasion, some childlike spontaneity, intuition and openness can be transformative in a world that seem to critically evaluate every action we take, and encourage us to map everything we do.  Going off the map on a tangent, or wandering freely, can sometimes land us in interesting places too. The gut can be a trusty guide.

I am very thankful for this gift of a simple surprise, led by Santa’s little helper in white. A true surprise can be so bewilderingly joyous. The encounter has fired up my sense of wonder and imagination for all kinds of possibilities. I have actively been looking out for other “Mr Whites” in my life that I ought to entertain, unkempt paths I should explore. For whenever I think I know, I always get pleasantly surprised.  

Just as I have been blessed with this special gift, I hope you will also follow your spontaneity, intuition and uncover new experiences when you least expect it. May it bring you much joy and inspiration! Blessed Christmas everyone! And oh…don’t forget to look around for gleaming white furry creatures...

 

Han Li June

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts