Walking into Illuminance

 


[Li June, Han] Illuminance, digital art, size variable

 

I started taking long walks eight years ago. Rain or shine, I would get up early before dawn, or slip away in the late evening on those special days of the week, filled with excitement and brimming with expectation.

You see, free walking for me is akin to going on a meaning-making journey, a journey that launders the days’ thoughts, feelings, emotions and other assorted hoops in my cerebral system. Starting with a heavy load, I leave bits of unnecessary burden behind, on the way as my walk unfolds. Just like how Hansel and Gretel leave crumbs of bread on their paths, eventually devoured by the forest.

I allow myself to be led by what intrigues me - a majestic tree, the captivating sunrise, an errant squirrel, the perfume of jasmine or promise of fresh rain. My senses often lead me to the places I did not intend. My footsteps simply follow the wimp of my senses. Operating in the realm of such sensorial curiosity, the knots in my mind invariably begin to get distracted and then, untangled.

It has been said that walking is like a trip into the complex alleys of our mind. Just as the landscape around us undulates with uneven terrains, crowded streets and narrow paths, so is our mental being with its convoluted folds, stretching for miles. These folds of grey matter appear to hold herculean amounts of data accumulated from our busy days. Each concern, issue, idea fire coded and imprinted in our conscious and unconscious minds. Protracted sleeping, TV binges and high intensity aerobics could not iron these codes out for me. They remain ingrained, coiled, stuffed in stubborn corners, appearing when I least expect them.

Walking, miraculously unravels these troubling imprints of the grey matter for me. I often start my walks filled with unresolved thoughts, feelings and in a harried state. As I begin to strut and pace down streets, roads, tracks and paths, pertinent puzzles from my mind starts to float into view. In the predictable rhythm of my footsteps, a steady thump of the heart, I begin to hear echoes of my mind. In silence, the confused mind converses with itself, encouraged by the unsuspecting scenes it encounters as I traverse the paths. A sunrise looming in sight often sets my mind on a reflective buzz, throwing out bursts of ideas and uplifting my spirit. What I have been ruminating for days without clarity seems to emerge into a new perspective from incubation. Rain, the pitter patter of rain, almost always triggers some obstinate worries to be dislodged from their deep crevices.

What is it with free spirited walking that works such magic? Throughout history, people have taken arduous physical journeys to track jungles, scale mountains, and conquer wildernesses to clear their minds. With humble equipment, they rely primarily on their legs to carry them through harsh environments. I have read many autobiographical accounts of such people - commoners, not professional orienteers, who set out on such soul searching missions. They were homemakers, retirees, teachers, people like you and I. The film Forrest Gump was particularly memorable, where Forrest started running one day and would not stop. As days rolled into months and years, Forrest’s life took on a transformative turn with the longer distances he walked and travelled, sometimes with people but mostly alone. The fog seems to clear before him as he steadies himself onward each day.

Like these walkers, I realize that my life and its existential issues are ultimately unsolvable. They need to be lived through, confronted, and navigated, albeit with no predictable endings. There is no way to avoid the humps. It is a marathon of a life journey! The growing cacophony from our modern life, though, have rendered my navigation radars increasingly useless. The jamming signals tend to keep me frozen to the same place, afraid to get more lost in the maze. My mind and body need to be reacquainted, their relationship to be revived. Most days, my mind wanders about without asking the body for her opinion. The spirit looks on, rather forlorn to be the one most left behind. I badly need to be in-tuned to my inner hum, my mind’s creative rhythm, my limbs’ wanderlust to make full meaning, to know my next option.

Only if I walk, like the walkers, and create deliberate pockets of free spaces, mental wilderness, would I find some solace for more reflexive thinking. Only if I listened closely, would I hear the intuitive calls which harken me to get in touch again with my natural navigation system and compass within.

In her beautiful book, Wanderlust: The History of Walking, Rebecca Solnit writes:

“Walking, ideally, is a state in which the mind, the body, and the world are aligned, as though they were three characters finally in conversation together, three notes suddenly making a chord. Walking allows us to be in our bodies and in the world without being made busy by them. It leaves us free to think without being wholly lost in our thoughts.”

We are constantly arrested by a myriad of suggestive media, frenetic schedules, enrapturing crowds, and ever more self-help to enslave our minds. We have forgotten the benefits of sauntering freely with ourselves, not much planned, and nothing to do. Except of course, not doing much with nothing planned is the core essence of the miracle! Walking cultivates our intuitive senses and can catalyze unprecedented clarity in our mind as we ply the miles unsuspecting. Walking allows our minds and bodies to wander, to be led by serendipity, often leading us to places we ought to be. To uncover the hidden wisdom we have forgotten. Through these adventurous journeys, we make strides that parallel refreshing leaps in our minds. And derive unique solutions for ourselves. The walker can surely invent new ways to go, and create uncharted paths when faced with any manner of obstacles. We don’t need a manual for everything.

Though I have yet to embrace the great mountains and huge wilderness since I live in Singapore, I have wandered innumerable miles surrounding where I live and where I choose to travel. These walking miles have brought me immense calm, illuminance of thought and a sense of inner awakening. Some of my best creative ideas and emotional breakthroughs have germinated from my long walks. For a walk is never the same twice. Unless we have allowed ourselves to be truly lost, we can never find ourselves.

Have you been on a walk lately?

 

Han Li June


Comments

Popular Posts